|The Buckner Mint Julep Ceremony
- The story about the General/Governor Buckner is excerpted
from from "A Day with Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner,
Ranking Surviving Officer of Civil War", Nashville
Banner (Jan. 2, 1909) by M.B. Morton reprinted in
"Compilation of Articles on Simon Bolivar Buckner,
Civil War General and Kentucky Governor" (Hart
County [Kentucky] Historical Society, 1995).
- General Connor's letter is in my father's possession.
This page was prepared from a photocopy in my possession.
It contains no material differences from the version
published in the Assembly.
- The letter of then-Lieutenant Colonel Buckner (various
sources anticipate his promotion to General) has been
published many times. The original, of course, was sent
to General Connor. I do not know its current location, or
whether it survives. (I strongly suspect, however, that
the manual typewriter did not use italic type.)
- The photograph of President Roosevelt is from the
Franklin Delano Roosevelt presidential library website.
It shows him conducting a "Fireside Chat" on
April 28, 1935, some six weeks before the events here
- The photograph of General MacArthur is from
JULEPS: Home | History | Setting
| Solicitation | Recipe | Postscript
BUCKNER: Home | Genealogy